Social isolation in older adults can lead to serious problems.
A few of these problems include the risk of injury, hospitalization, and even a higher risk of dementia.
Sadly, senior isolation is an alarmingly normal problem for our elders. There are ways to prevent senior isolation from becoming too big of a dilemma to handle. Take a look at the tips below.
Social Isolation In Older Adults
Here are some tips to keep seniors from getting too lonely:
- Offer them rides
- Help them find transportation nearby
- Research community groups or events geared towards the elderly
- Promote socializing
- Consider investing in a caretaker
- Spend as much time as you can give with them
- Show affection
- Suggest they call friends to meet up for dinner
- Make sure they have a phone and know how to use it
- Be sure to see that they have access to the internet
Read more about this at A Place for Mom.